Friday 26 April 2013

God's mission

I'm reading a book by Alan and Eleanor Kreider, "Worship and mission after Christendom."  Also listening to Stuart Murray Williams talking about mission in a post Christendom era.

It was probably back in the 90s that we started thinking more carefully about moving from maintenance to mission, but I wonder whether we have really got to grips with this.

Stuart Williams uses a phrase that I find very powerful, probably not his own phrase but I don't know where it comes from. It comes out of his understanding that God is primarily a missional God.

He challenges us to move from 'the Church of God has an mission' to 'The God of mission has a church'

He also talks about worship being the goal of mission.  This reminds me of Moses talking To Pharoah. 'God says, let my people go that they may worship me in the wilderness.'

No comments:

Post a Comment